She is gracious, witty, and beautiful. And it seems she never skips dessert. Her books are full of quick little things you can throw together from your pantry to satisfy your sweet tooth. This is only part of what makes her so brilliant.
I've adapted her recipe for Lemon Meringue Fool to fit the choices at my American grocery store. I've never heard of a meringue nest, and couldn't find one at the store. Making one for myself sort of defeats the purpose of making this quick and easy. So, I went with shortbread cookies instead. They're chewy and buttery and completely delicious. They add a lovely texture to the creamy tart dessert.
This dessert couldn't be easier. Thin out some lemon curd with limoncello or lemon juice. Whip up some cream. This will replace your work out for the day if, like me you have to whip the cream by hand because you broke your mixer the week before making homemade ice cream. Blast some cookies to rubble in your food processor, then fold the three together.
Put it into your prettiest glasses, or put it in a bucket. Either way, it's going to taste amazing. Nigella has gorgeous vintage martini glasses, but not everyone can be so lucky. I put an extra dab of lemon curd, some more cookie crumbs, and a shortbread cookie on top. And then I scarfed down the whole thing in about two minutes.
Fast, easy, delicious. What more do I need to say?
Lemon Cream Dessert
Recipe adapted from Kitchen by Nigella Lawson.
150g lemon curd
1 Tbsp lemon juice (or limoncello if you have it)
250ml heavy cream
15-20 shortbread cookies
- In a small bowl, stir together the lemon curd and lemon juice to thin it out a bit.
- Whisk the cream until it just reaches stiff peaks. It will stiffen up more as you mix in the other ingredients.
- Fold the lemon mixture into the cream in two batches. It should be streaky, so don't over mix it.
- Stash the cream in the fridge while you put the shortbread cookies into the food processor. A zip top bag and a rolling pin work just as well. Pulse the cookies until they are coarse and chunky. Not too fine.
- Fold most of the crumbs into the lemon and cream, but hold a few back to sprinkle on top.
- Once everything is incorporated, divide it into four glasses.
- Add a dab of lemon curd, cookie crumbs, and a shortbread cookie.
- Stash them in the fridge until you're ready to devour them.