When you absolutely have to have something sweet and delicious, what you really need is Treatsies.

TO MAKE AN ORDER...simply email us at treatsiesbakery@gmail.com with your request and we'll get back to you within 24 hours to arrange free delivery to your home or hotel!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cheater's Chocolate Mousse

For Valentine's day, my husband and I decided to forego the crowded restaurants and instead we got takeout and had a picnic on the beach. I had to work that day, so I didn't have time to make a meal, but I did have time to whip up the simple chocolate mousse my husband had been requesting. Nothing says love like chocolate.


I also happened to have some graham cracker crumbs lying around due to the fact that digestive biscuits apparently weigh a lot more graham crackers. Do not try to substitute them one for one. Trust me! But you can use those extra crumbs to add some interest and texture to your chocolate mousse. I layered in the crumbs as I put the mousse into the glass. Simple and delicious.


I called this cheater's chocolate mousse because I used a package of plain gelatin to thicken it. It's really foolproof. And if you have an electric mixer, it comes together in no time. If not, your family and friends will know you really love them after you spent ten minutes frantically whisking. Use the best chocolate you can afford. Even if that's only store brand chocolate chips, don't worry. It will still taste amazing.

We loved watching the sunset over the Pacific and stuffing our faces with some of our favorite foods. I put the mousse in a pretty glass for you, but you know I piled a whole mess of it into a plastic container and threw two spoons in our cooler backpack to take to the beach. It's more romantic if you share.



Cheater's Chocolate Mousse
Recipe from 1001 Fast Easy Recipes


1 packet unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup light corn syrup
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped or chips
1 tsp vanilla
1 pint heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks



  • In a medium saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin over the 1/4 cup water. Leave it alone for 2 minutes to let the gelatin absorb.
  • Add the corn syrup and cook over low heat for five minutes, stirring constantly.
  • Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate and vanilla. Keep stirring until the chocolate is melted and everything is smooth.
  • Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream in two batches. A few streaks are okay. 
  • Spoon it in to whatever you want to serve it in. Fancy crystal or a bucket. It doesn't matter. You can also layer in some graham cracker or cookie crumbs or other fun stuff at this point.
  • Refrigerate for two hours, then try not to eat it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment